About this site
San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) in collaboration with environmental program providers designed this site to provide comprehensive information of programs that expose students to the outdoors, teach them ecology and inspire preservation techniques and ideas.
Please poke around so you can join us in our quest to shape the next generation of ecoliterate citizens.
Definition of Ecoliteracy
1) Awareness Understanding the principles that govern natural systems and comprehending the impact humans have on natural systems.
2) Apprectiation Developing a personal connection to the local environment
3) Advocacy Taking a personal action to engate in local and global issues.
These dimensions of ecoliteracy should be grounded in the global impacts of students' urban lifestyles as well as in the urban context in which they live. It is the goal of SFUSD and Environmental Program providers listed in this site to provide the following to district students, as it is felt that in order for students to become ecoliterate, they need to have access to the following experiences before graduating.
Basic Concepts and Experiences
In order for students to become ecoliterate, they need to have access to the following experiences before graduating:
3.Playful Experiences in Nature
4.Visits to Natural History Museums
5.Participation in a Stewardship Project
6.Youth Leadership Opportunities...
And learn the following concepts:
- Climate Change (“Why is our climate changing?”)
- Sources of Energy (“How do we power our homes and cars?”)
- Watershed (“Where do we get our water?”)
- Urban Ecology (“How can we coexist with the nature in our city?”)
- Food Systems (“Where does food come from”)
- Impacts of Consumption (“What is the Story of Stuff?”)
- Waste Hierarchy (“Why is there no away?”)
- Environmental Justice (“Why are power plants in poor areas?”)
If you are interested in joining this group, signing up for email updates, have information about organizations that support ecoliteracy, or provide resources for K-12 classes, or would like information presented to your school please contact:
Ecoliteracy Content Specialist
- Jan Applications Open for Ecoliteracy Institute for K-2 Teachers
- Jan Applications Open for OAEC School Garden Teacher Training & Support Program
- Jan Applications open for CAS Teacher Institute on Science & Sustainability (TISS)
- Jan Garden for the Environment Various trainings all month long
- Jan 7 Rainforests of the World Teacher Workshop (grades 4-8) 8:30-12:30pm
- Jan 11 K-5 FOSS Earth Science Professional Development: 4-6pm at SOTA (check the amazing school farm while you're there!!!)
- Jan 12 EEI Curriculum Training for K-5 Teachers with the CalAcademy 4-6pm, Free Entry to Nightlife
- Jan 13 Deadline for Application for NOAA's Climate Stewards Education Project
Exciting national initiative to provide formal and informal educators with sustained professional development, collaborative tools, and support to build a climate-literate public that is actively engated in climate stewardship activities. Includes 15 hours of professional development training, webinars, stewardship action plan development, online community, resources, feedback and more. to participate [email bruce.moravchik [at] noaa.gov].
- Jan 18 Going Green thru Curriculum 4-5:30pm
- Jan 19 Science Teacher Resource Fair @ Bret Harte Elementary School 4:30-6:30pm Bus Scholarship Giveaways! Free Passes for your classes to parks & museums! Free Fieldtrips and more!
- Jan 19 Explore Africa Teacher Workshop (grades K-12) 4-6pm
- Jan 21 Bay Area Environmental Education Resource (BAEER) Fair 35
- Jan 22 Deadline for Application to Cornell's Civic Ecology Online Professional Development
- Jan 26 Nutrition & Learning: A Healthy Learning Environment 4-6pm
- Jan 28 Cal Academy Coral Reefs Teacher Workshop (grades 3-7) 8:30-12:30pm
- Feb Applications open for LEAF program. Targeting 6-8 graders, $1000 stipend for teachers.
- Feb 4 Bay Area Schools Environmental Conference: Sustainability: The Game Changer
- Feb 4 Rainforests of the World Teacher Workshop (grades K-3) 8:30-12:30pm
- Feb 7th NOAA/FMSA: LiMPETS Intro to Rocky Intertidal Monitoring @ Fitzgerald Marine Res.10-5pm
- Feb Garden for the Environment Various trainings all month long
- Feb 6-8 Exploratorium: Institute for Inquiry: Assessing for Learning
- Feb 11 Cal Academy Evolution Teacher Training (grades 7-12) 8:30-12:20pm
- Feb 16 Cal Academy Green Building and Living Roof Teacher Training (grades 2-12) 4-6pm
- Feb 23 Cal Academy Skulls: Structure & Function Teacher Workshop (grades K-8) 4-6pm
- Feb 21 PEAK (Promoting Energy, Action & Knowledge) Teacher Training
- Feb 23 Nutrition & Learning: Linking Nutrition to Science Curricula 4-6pm
- Feb 25 Geology Teacher Workshop (grades 2-5) 8:30-12:30pm
- Mar 1 Exploratorium's Applications for Summer Teacher Institute Due!!
- Mar 3 Cal Academy Geology Teacher Workshop (grades 6-12) 8:30-12:30pm
- Mar 7 NOAA/FMSA: LiMPETS Rocky Intertidal Data Analysis for the Classroom 5:30-7:30
- Mar 7 Taking FOSS Outdoors for K+1 teachers 4-6pm location TBD
- Mar 14 Taking FOSS Outdoors for 2+3rd Grade Teachers 4-6pm location TBD
- Mar 15 Applications due for LEAF program, targeting 6-8 graders, $1000 stipend for teachers.
- Mar 17 NOAA/FMSA: LiMPETS Introduction to Sandy Beach Monitoring 9-4pm
- Mar 21 Taking FOSS Outdoors for 4+5th Grade teachers 4-6pm location TBD
- Mar 22 Cal Academy: Citizen Science: Birdsleuth 4-6:30pm
- Mar 23 Nutrition & Learning: Links to Family and Community 4-6pm
- MarGarden for the Environment Various training all month long
- Apr Children & Nature Network Lets G.O.! (Get Outside) All of April, 2012
- Apr 24 Applications DUE for Ecoliteracy Teacher Institute for K-2 Teachers
- Apr 24 Cal Academy Speaker Series Richard Louv: Nature Deficit Disorder Herbst Theatre 8pm
- Apri Garden for the Environment Various trainings all month long
- June 4-8 Ecoliteracy Teacher Institute Applications Due April 24th, 2012.
- Ongoing Camping in the Presidio Teacher Training
- Ongoing PEAK Teacher Training
- Ongoing Project Wet Teacher Workshops
- Ongoing Classroom Aquarium Project Training Free aquariums, trout eggs & maintence for your class
- Ongoing Presidio Native Nursery Free workshop for groups, Every Wednesday 1-4 pm
- Ongoing Habitat Restoration Workdays Lands End, Presidio Coastal Bluffs, Saturdays 1-4 pm